Background

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Social Networking Isn't Safe

My life was threatened yesterday. Couldn’t sleep well last night. Got up kind of early for a Sunday. Made some tea with sugar and had it with Persian bread and Feta cheese, what my mom used to make me every morning before school when I lived in Iran. Then I turned on the T.V and Sabrina the teenage witch was on – one of my favorite shows by the way. I know it’s really silly but I love watching shows like that. I grew up with Bewitched and I dream of Genie and about five years ago or so when I was sick for a year, I used to watch Charmed on T.V. I liked the way Shannen Doherty , Holly Marie Combs, Alyssa Milano and Rose McGown were so vibrant and healthy while I was sick. They were able to overcome all the evil forces around them and create a better world for everyone. But the reality is that there are only a handful of people with influence left in the world who have the power to protect human rights. So sometimes when I’m not feeling all that great and I need a little magic in my life. I turn on the T.V, watch the good do their thing and suddenly I feel safe again.


Which reminds me, social networking isn’t safe. I recently had some really freaky people follow me on Twitter, people who were angry about me writing what I write and speaking my mind. Someone threatened to chop off my fingers, torture and burn me. So, not only are we not allowed to help those who need us, we’re not even allowed to speak up our minds. And then what are we supposed to do? Shut our eyes and pretend that those whose rights are being violated do not exit? Are we to pretend that we live in a perfect world? Wouldn’t that just makes us nothing but a blob with no brain or soul? I guess that’s what they want us to be…

No comments: